We want to build and support strong, active and inclusive communities across the Parish to encourage people to take an active part in making decisions, delivering and influencing services across the Parish.
Southwater can be dated as far back as the Neoliths, 4500 BC. Evidence of this comes from finds at Jackrells Farm, Southwater where two arrow heads and three axes were found south of the river in Horsham.
Dinosaur bones were also found in the old brickyard. Other finds date back to 500 BC show the beginning of an organised trading society in and around Southwater and the Horsham District.During the Roman Empire the Weald in which Southwater is situated began to produce iron. When the brickworks started there were many archaeological finds in Victorian times.
The first written references to Southwater date back to the Calendar of Patent Rolls in 1346 when it was known as “Suthwatre” but refers not to a village but an area of scattered farms – south of the water, which remained so until the late 20th Century. The water in this instance is probably the River Arun which runs through Horsham, although the village also has water-courses leading to and from the River Adur. Southwater lies just four miles south of Horsham in West Sussex and within the Parish are the hamlets of Christ’s Hospital, Newfoundout and Stammerham, all of which are thought to date back to medieval times and are on the path of old road systems.
For more information www.southwaterhistory.co.uk